Fireworks, concert Tuesday; parade, games Wednesday
The Fourth of July is just around the corner and the Wellington Chamber of Commerce has fireworks planned for Tuesday, July 3 at dusk at the Lorain County Fairgrounds, as well as a day of activities on Wednesday, July 4. Here’s a schedule of holiday events:
Tuesday, July 3
A free, ice cream social kicks off at 6 p.m. in the Town Square. The Patriots Symphonic Band, with 70 volunteer musicians from 23 Lorain County communities, will perform a free concert on the steps of Town Hall at 7 p.m. There will be no formal seating in Howk Park; residents are invited to come early with lawn chairs and blankets.
At dusk (around 9:30 p.m.) the Wellington Chamber of Commerce sponsors the annual Independence Day fireworks at the Lorain County Fairgrounds.
Wednesday, July 4
• Noon to 5 p.m.: The Life Share Blood Bank will be located south of the game area, for donations.
• Noon: Pet parade in the park.
• 1 p.m.: Children’s pedal tractor pull for ages three to 12, located between Town Hall and the church.
• 2 p.m.: Pedal pull for those 13 and older, including adults.
• 1-3 p.m.: Mike Phillips and Melodic Music perform in Town Square.
• 1 p.m.: Games in the park.
• 2:30 p.m. Parade line-up is at the athletic field on Dickson Street at Grand Avenue.
• 3 p.m. Parade begins with the Wellington Ministerial Association as marshals. Virginia Haynes will serve as master of ceremonies at the Town Square when the parade arrives; the National Anthem will be performed by Lisa Manning, Terri Petro, and Robin Diederick.
• 4 p.m.: Preschool games in the park.
• 4-6 p.m.: Sleight of Hands performs in Town Square.
• Frog jumping contest in the park.
Food will be available for sale from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
In the event of rain on Tuesday, the fireworks will be staged on Friday, July 6.